Saturday, March 9, 2013

Egg and Spinach Casserole


Not gonna lie, totally saw this on Pinterest and just had to try it. I'm not one of those people who can skip breakfast and when I get hungry it's all I can think about (apologies to the boyfriend for putting up with me when I'm cranky and hungry).

That being said, this egg casserole is fantastic.

I went a little overboard with the garlic...

Ingredients:
Spinach (take what you think you need and double it)
Eggs
Cheese
Spices
Anything else you want!


Sauté the spinach (clean it first... and remove any stems). I pour a tad of olive oil into the pan and sprinkle salt and pepper over the leaves. Spinach wilts down to a tiny fraction of what it is fresh, so you should really pile it on. This photo shows a pittance of the amount of spinach you should use, even for a small 8x8 inch pan, but I forgot to take the photo when it was all piled on. This amount was just the leftovers of the spinach I already had (after piling it high in the pan) because there wasn't enough.

Ignore my awful tile. Lime green splatters? Really?

The really great thing about this casserole (well... any casserole) is that you can put anything you want in it. I had a jalapeño that was about to get all wrinkled so I chopped it up. Onions are great additions, as are chives and green onions. Mmmmm....

While the spinach is wilting (and make sure to turn it so each leaf gets properly wilted and no one leaf is over wilted), chop up whatever else you plan to use. Then scramble your eggs. The idea is to have just as much egg to cover the other ingredients; for an 8x8 inch pan I used 6 large eggs.




Put the sautéed spinach at the bottom of the pan (the original Pinterest recipe says to spray the pan with oil, but I've made this a few times and never have and it's been fine), then sprinkle a thick layer of cheese (again, a good opportunity to use what you have on hand - I had some leftover mozzarella and pepper jack), and top with the other ingredients.


Slowly pour the eggs over the other ingredients and use a fork to gently ease the egg into the layers. Then I sprinkled just a little bit more cheese over the top, pushed it into the egg, and generously peppered the top.


Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until it's as brown and bubbly as you like it. I didn't hear the timer go off on this one so it's slightly more brown than normal, but it was not burnt at all and tasted fantastic.


See? Look how beautiful and fluffy that is. 

Then I topped it with sour cream, Tapatio, and homemade salsa. And went back for seconds. And would have gone back for thirds if I wasn't going to be eating again soon...


You can make a big pan of these and save them in the fridge for one of the quickest and healthiest breakfasts that will keep you full until lunchtime, as long as you eat lunch at a normal hour and don't try to hold off until 2pm like some people do.

Total Time: 45 minutes
Total Cost: $5 plus the cost of whatever else you add

Note: In this particular post the photos are courtesy of my phone, which, while awesome and pretty decent at playing camera, is no match for Rich's actual camera. So if the pics look like cell phone pics, it's 'cause they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment